Thursday, June 18, 2009

Straight from an Adoptive Dad's Heart

Here comes Father's Day... a hallmark day swirling with sentiment and emotion, but in the hallways of your heart this day is fragile.  Emotions are high, but likely not the good feeling ones.  Keep holding on, cling to the hope...  Read an excerpt of Kip's story written from a new dad's perspective as he reflected back on the wait.


I have to admit after a year of waiting I was giving up and had let a couple of friends know how doubtful I was of the process and that I didn’t feel we would ever get picked. It seems like adoption has gotten so popular and it started feeling like there was no hope. It was difficult hearing all the stories people would tell you about when we would mention were in the process. Our faith is strong yet I was fading in the process.  When we traveled to Traverse City with another couple for a long weekend I mentioned to them I was giving up and couldn’t bear the stresses of it anymore. In a sense, I had turned it over to God in my heart and low and behold ten days later we got the call from Jennifer the AAI social worker about our birth mom. She had chosen us to be the parents of her baby.   I was shocked and all the doubt and fear subsided. It started a whole new process within me and boy did it.  The anticipation and expectations soared.  I knew we had a whole lot to do in a short window of three months. I myself had tried to not let it grab my heart, trying to hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. The wonderful opportunity being at the hospital for the actual birth was incredible. I myself kept pacing and was wondering “would she change her mind?” We were blessed with a blissful experience and praise to God for his blessing of a son.  Life and the perspective now as a FATHER hit quick.  I was so thankful I didn't give up.  He was worth all the wait!